Monday 7 November 2011

Who are savants?

Most of you might not have heard the word "savant" and may not be knowing what it means. I did not know either before I watched one the documentary titled, "Extraordinary People-The Boy with the incredible Brain". The documentary movie about savant Daniel Tammet who is known as "Brain Man".
Savant  Daniel Tammet(Brain Man)
I searched for the meaning of the word in Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary installed on my system but,"sorry, word not found" was the response. How ever wikipedia defines "savant" as people with developmental disorders having one or more areas of expertise, ability, or brilliance that are in contrast with the individual's overall limitations and the definition according to website Savant Academy is someone with a mental/cognitive disability who, at the same time, demonstrates special skills, intelligence, or aptitudes. The correct medical term for this phenomenon is Savant Syndrome.

To me they seems to be extraordinary people with extraordinary talents and abilities in one or more specific fields what ever may be the cause.  I think it is worth knowing about them. I will come up with more information as soon as possible. Remain subscribed to get the updates to your inbox by entering your email in the top right corner of the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment